1. What are add-ons on Digistore24?
Add-ons are products that are additionally offered on the main product’s order form.
Upsells1 are not always suitable for selling additional products because they are only offered on separate upsell sales pages after the initial purchase. For small products e.g. premium support, it may be more appropriate to place the additionally offered product as an add-on directly on the order form. Therefore, add-ons are useful because you can make a useful additional offer to your customer who has just decided to make a purchase. This way, you generate more sales and can simultaneously offer your customers real added value.
Characteristics of add-ons
- Add-ons are sold in a single transaction together with the main product.
- For this reason, there is only one collective sale in the transaction list because it only involves a single transaction for multiple products. You will only see the main product in the transaction list.
- When you make a return, you can only reverse the total amount per installment or per single payment.
- If you want to see the list of ordered goods, click on the magnifying glass of the relevant transaction in the transaction list. All sold goods (including product variants) are individually listed here for you.
- The main product can be a single payment, but the add-on can be a subscription or an installment payment product.
- It is important that the products you want to sell have all received approval, otherwise you won’t be able to sell them.
2. Create add-ons
- In the vendor view, go to Account > Products.
- Click on the pencil icon of the main product on whose order form you would like to offer the add-on product.
- Change to the tab Add-ons.
- If you activate the option Buying main product is optional, if add-ons are present, then when you create the add-on you have to ensure that the number of add-ons in the option Maximum quantity per sale does not depend on the main product!
- If you select the option …for whole transaction amount for Calculate affiliate and joint venture commissions…, then the affiliate commission settings will apply, not those of the add-on product. However, the entire purchase amount is used to calculate the commission i.e. the purchase amount of the main product plus the purchase amounts of any add-on products.
- If you select the option …separately for each add-on amount, then the affiliate commission of the main product and the affiliation commission of the add-on products that you have set will be added together.
- In the If main product is single payment and the add-on is a subscription/installment payment: window, select the first and follow-up billing periods.
- Finally, click Save.
- Now scroll down to the New add-on window.
- Select the add-on product in the New add-on field. In principle, an add-on product can be any product that you have set up in your vendor account and that has already received approval from the Digistore24 team.
- For Default quantity, specify how many add-on products should be displayed on the order form by default. If you set a number greater than 1, please observe the following steps.
- If you select Yes for Buyer can change quantity, then the quantity that can be purchased by default depends on the main product; however, you can change this for Maximum quantity per sale. (If you do not make any changes, then the customer cannot change the quantity because the main product can be sold only once in the default setting.) Do not forget to adjust the Default quantity accordingly as described in point 10.
- Now adjust further settings such as Billing type, Payments etc. Please note that the payment plans that you have defined in the tab Payment plans will not be in effect if the product is sold as an add-on.
- Finally, click on Add add-on.
Affiliate commission settings are always adjusted in the respective product details of the product (Account > Products) in the tab Properties.
Please note: If the quantity is set to 0, no check will be displayed in the order form. If the default quantity is set to 1, then a check is placed. If the customer can change the quantity, then please observe the next point.
If you scroll down to the bottom, you will see the add-on that you’ve just created in the overview and you will be able to edit it by clicking on the pencil icon.
3. Preselect add-ons on the order form with a GET parameter in the order form URL
You can preselect an add-on and its quantity on your order form by adding a corresponding GET parameter to the order form URL. To do this, you should have added the add-on to the main product in the tab Add-ons, as described above. In addition, the option Default quantity should be set to 0. You must activate the option Buyer can change quantity; otherwise the parameter will have no effect. The number of add-ons that you can set using the following guide is also subject to the limits that you put in place for Maximum quantity per sale.
To preselect an add-on, add a GET parameter that contains the product ID of your add-on and the number of preselected products to the order form URL. It reads as follows: ?quantity_PRODUCT-ID=QUANTITY
Here you select the add-on with the product ID 456 on the order form of the product with the product ID 123 and the quantity is set to 5. If you want to preselect the add-on without increasing the quantity, set the quantity to 1.
You can use & to preselect additional add-ons within a URL:
In addition to the add-on with the product ID 456 (5 units), you have preselected the add-on with the product ID 789 and the quantity is set to 1.
For products selected using the checkbox, only use the quantity 1 (selected) or 0 (not selected).
4. Special cases (combination of add-ons with products)
The main product and the add-on must be the same in terms of billing for subscriptions and installment payments (both must be installments or subscriptions, the same payment intervals, the same number of installments if an installment payment).
However, single payments can be combined with anything.
An add-on subscription can also not be stopped.
The only possibility to do this is to indicate that the quantity can be changed after the purchase.
The buyer can then do this themselves on the receipt page (first “Change payment” then “Add or cancel packages”).
Product that is automatically offered to the customer directly after the purchase of the main product before they receive access to the main product↩